My Photo
Name:
Location: Concord, Massachusetts, United States

Retired from entertainment to become a mom. I never got to the place I wanted to be in the industry and decided there was a better life out there somewhere... some days I think I might have finally found it. But I'll keep looking, just in case.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I need a fairy godmother

You're thinking, sure, don't we all? Imagine all the things a fairy godmother could do for you. Hook you up with the guy or girl of your dreams, pay all your bills, get you that fancy house you've always wanted. Not to mention the pumpkin coach limo, Manolo Blahniks and Vera Wang gown.

I need that fairy godmother to put my kid through school.

Why, you're saying, I thought your kid was only two years old. No, he's not. Even. Two. But this is NYC, see? And I'm told that if you want to get your kid into one of the top schools, you have to start applying -- uh -- yesterday.

I went online the other night and checked out the website for the Parents League of NY. It lists all the accredited prep schools in NYC and the surrounding environs (like, all the way up to Concord, MA). It provides links to the websites of all these schools. And considerately, many of the schools make their tuition schedules available on their websites. --Gasp! Choke! *wheeeze*

To make a broad generalization, it would cost between $20,000 and $24,000 (look Ma, no decimal point) per year to send our son to prep school if he started this year. When he is ready to start in three years, whadaya want to bet that tuition has risen to $22k and above? Makes me wonder what the point might be in sending him to prep school -- what are we prepping him for? We sure as hell wouldn't be able to afford college after shelling out that kind of money for his primary education.

Okay, not ALL the public schools in the NYC school system suck. Just most of 'em. You can learn how to manipulate the system, play the percentages, and pray.

And to be fair, every one of those "independent" schools listed on the Parents League site (they don't call them "private" anymore) offers financial aid options. Not that I think we can swing their tuition even with financial aid. Can we hope for scholarships? I mean, I think my son is smart. He knows his alphabet and numbers at 20 months... does that count?

It looks like I have a lot of learning to do myself, and I'm way behind. I should have started two years ago.

2 Comments:

Blogger union san martin said...

yo puedo ser tu hada madrina (masculino)

5:54 PM  
Blogger Lone Ranger said...

The best school your child can attend is right in your own home. I know that public schools are a disaster. But there is no reason in the world why you can't supplement what your child learns in school with your own teaching. In fact, there is no reason you can't teach him yourself. Did you know that homeschooled kids test at the 96th percentile in every subject? That means that they test higher than 96 percent off all their counterparts who attend both public and private schools. Do some surfing and research the subject. Every negative thing you've ever heard about homeschooling is a lie.

And it might relieve some of your boredom.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home