My Photo
Name:
Location: Concord, Massachusetts, United States

Retired from entertainment to become a mom. I never got to the place I wanted to be in the industry and decided there was a better life out there somewhere... some days I think I might have finally found it. But I'll keep looking, just in case.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

and the point is?

Wow, I'm discovering that there's a whole alternate lifestyle out there in cyberspace. People have blogs for all kinds of stuff. I saw one yesterday where a guy from California posts his drawings and paintings, and they're really good. There was another funny one where a guy named Jay from Massachusetts is remodeling his house. He's got a wicked sense of humor! I can relate to what he's doing because one day I'd like to do the same thing myself. (The remodeling project, not the blog.) What he started with looks really rough... I hope I can find his blog again because I'd like to see the final result!

There was an article in the NY Times today ("Style" section, or someplace like that) about "every hipster gets his moment of fame..." It was about some magazine called "Me" where they choose somebody you've never heard of to be an editor for an issue, and that issue is all about that guy or gal. Apparenly it's full of stuff like answers to a "Proustian questionaire" about the subject's life, and what his favorite movie is, and what novelist he'd like to emulate and what's in his medicine cabinet and so forth. And introduces you to some of his friends, who you've never heard of either. They take photos of the subject looking soulful and serious. And I thought, is this for real?

But then, is that so different from what I'm doing here? Granted, if I start recording the contents of my medicine cabinet then somebody should take my keyboard away from me. I don't know who I'm publishing this stuff for... is there somebody out there who is my "audience?" Or am I just doing this for myself? I already know what's in my medicine cabinet, and it isn't sexy. Name anybody you'd just kill to meet, and I'll bet the contents of their medicine cabinet aren't sexy, either. Hell, why do people write in diaries? To "hear" their own voices, to polish their writing style, to record important events for posterity...? Okay, Martha Jefferson wrote down the household accounts in her diary and if she hadn't we wouldn't know as much about Monticello, because Tom was busy writing more important stuff. But who knew we'd care about how many casks of small beer they consumed there in a year, or that Tom liked peas? I don't expect that in 200 years anybody could learn a thing from these ramblings of mine, except that in the early 21st century we were a pretty self-absorbed lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home